Sunday, April 19, 2009

Different


It has been a little over a month now, but a few of my friends and I went to "Paint and Pour" up in Brentwood for a ladies night. We all painted the same picture, but they are all so different. It is interesting how we can do the exact same things, but because of our distinctly unique personalities the overall effect of each one is different. My picture is shown at the top.

Now I have to tell you that she would intermittently pick up our pictures and show them to everyone to show our progress. When she picked up my friend's next to me she said it was dainty, which Lacie then shared how that was how her husband picked her engagement ring. He said it was dainty like her....

So, she picks up my painting (and just to let you know, the flowers are designed the way she had them in her painting, and before I started texturing my tree) and what word did she use? Different...

Now is that a polite way of saying weird or ugly, or just a compliment in and of itself? I don't know, but I do know it is a common word used to describe me, from ppl who know me well and from those who have just met me. I hope that is not their way of saying something is wrong with me and they just tolerate me...

No, I am kidding. I take it as a compliment. I am different, unique if you will--always have been. Sometimes I wonder if I am in the wrong century though...

I went out this weekend and as I am sitting at dinner with these three ppl (one friend I met here who has moved away, his best friend who I only hang out with through him, and another friend of theirs I just met--thank goodness she was there) I am realizing how out of touch I really am. They all have their high tech phones out (I had left mine in the car and it is so far behind all theirs), facebook profiles...the list goes on.

As the night goes on, we go to meet up with some others who are out bowling. Now keep in mind I am the only one who going into this night knew two ppl present. As we are hanging out bowling and speaking to another girl whom we all had just met, she asks me if I am involved in a group (which is how they--about 7 more ppl--are all friends) As I answer with a negative, one of the guys I was with is sitting across from me and we are both laughing at how obviously out of place I have been all night.

Why the long story? It is just another example of how different I am....don't worry, i took none of this in a negative light and I had a great time meeting new ppl. It was just an interesting night that reminded me that I tend to stand out in odd ways sometimes. Maybe I should join this century and start watching tv, upgrade my phone and join the facebook world, but liklihood being, I will not.

No comments:

Post a Comment