Sunday, January 23, 2011

changes not so good

So I made a realization this week that has been 9 years in the making. I know there are some things...many things...about me that have changed. Some changes (most, i hope) have been for the better, but not all. One of the changes has been in my openness with others and in letting ppl in. Don't misunderstand...i am very social and good at talking with ppl; and I have great friends who i talk to about things, but i am very good at talking about myself without really saying anything. I have perfected the art of talking in circles. I have also gotten very good at keeping things to myself.

After my dad died, my pain obviously revolved around that heartbreak. It was all I talked about b/c it is what consumed me. Sometimes it still does, but i don't really think anyone wants to hear that all the time, so i hold on to it. For years I have associated the fact that I am not as open with ppl as i used to be with that, but that is not it at all really.

My first mission placement was beyond bad. I had a pastor/supervisor who made accusations against me that could have resulted in a federal investigation, "friends" who i spent all my time with who made up accusations against me that I chose not to fight after the first time b/c it wasn't worth it, and a church who decided to believe the lies of those two families.

My second mission placement began with supervisors who badmouthed the person who had just spent the last 2 years with them. They had control issues like you wouldn't believe. You can imagine we weren't the best of friends. I stayed out of their way, did what was expected, and did my own thing when they were gone...stayed under the radar after the first 2 months of torture and a huge blow up. That worked for us.

So, it is no wonder I am hesitant to voice my opinion or let ppl in...not that I don't ever talk to anyone...but i definitely need to learn to open up a little. I think i am trying to protect my heart (which just got broken recently b/c i let someone in who didn't value it) or trying to protect them from having to listen to me or worry b/c they are far away and don't need to be concerned with my problems, or protecting myself from rejection and criticism (I criticize myself enough, i don't need it from others).

It is odd though. We are all critiqued from time to time, but the critiques of random ppl don't bother me. I don't care if you agree with me or not. It is the fear of disappointing ppl i think i am close to (or want to be close to) that debilitates me.

I have never really considered myself a ppl pleaser, but essentially that is what i am. Now, I don't mind rocking the boat if it is for a cause I believe in. I don't particularly like confrontation, but i can do it. However, I go out of my way to make other ppl happy or comfortable. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but can be when it means I am selling myself short or not voicing my opinions.

I am an independent person. I am intelligent person. I am a woman of integrity, creativity, positivity and joy. But the person i described above is not displaying those characteristics. Those are the characteristics of a wounded, broken individual who has let the world and Satan dictate her actions, thoughts and feelings to a point where she does not even believe in herself. Who have I become?...and where is the real me?...or is this it?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mandy, Talk to me girl. Please? I love you - plain and simple you. The real you, the you that is working on discovering who you are (because that is what we are all doing). The you who is loud and silly and the you who is a people pleaser. The you who misses her daddy every minute and the you who puts her whole heart into EVERYTHING she does, just because it is the right thing to do. I love you, just how YOU are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany...I miss you! And I love YOU!

    ReplyDelete