Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Iron sharpens iron

I have been carpooling to work since I moved to Spring Hill...saves money on gas and gives me company, which considering i like to talk, is a good thing. One of the greatest things is that at least one of our conversations a day is always spiritual. Jason and I hash things out (which is funny b/c we usually pretty much agree, but we hash all sides anyway) and lay out different views and cover the verses concerning whichever subject we are on for the day. I love these times and have missed some of these conversations with friends and family from the past. When I lived in Baltimore, there was a guy who used to enter into spiritual debates with me regularly. We didn't always agree, but both brought our points with our scripture to back it up and sometimes came to a conclusion, while other times our conclusion was that we disagreed. We always walked away feeling sharpened and still close friends. Anyone who knows me well knows my passion for Christ is one of my favorite things to discuss. I could (much to many ppl's dismay) discuss spiritual questions and musings all day. That being said, these carpool discussions are exciting me!...and making me think.


On the other end of that, there was someone else in Baltimore I used to have the same type discussions with, but we both were entering them with wrong motives. Neither of us wanted to learn anything or grow, but to prove the other wrong or show each other up. I learned the hard way how not to have a spiritual debate...God keeps my motives pure and lets me know when i am starting to get into the wrong mode of thinking. It is so easy to be self righteous, but God reminds me that too is sin. Now, I just try to use conversations such as these as a cause to reflect on His Word and learn what I can.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Many for sharing this blog with me, I love to hear the thoughts and hearts of friends. Thank you for sharing your thoughts in this entry, I too had a friend once who sharpened me greatly, what a great treasure friends like that are. How important they are to our spiritual health and devotion to our Lord.
    Thank you Mandy for sharpening me, I am very thankful for our friendship, I look forward to Monday night, it just might be the two of us!
    Thank you for all you do girl, I know I don't say it enough!
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title of this posting. What a blessing that you have someone to help sharpen you on a regular basis.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete